There are a million pizza pasta recipes out there, but I think mine is a winner (duh)! It gets points for its veggie content, but I confess that I didn’t use whole wheat pasta. I looooooove bowtie pasta (see here and here) and my local doesn’t seem to have a health-i-fied version. I compared labels on cheeses and sauces, and I feel like I selected the best version of each in terms of calorie and fat content. This is definitely a family-size recipe, but I’m pretty pumped about the leftovers…
- In large pot, boil 12 ounces bowtie pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In 12 inch cast iron skillet, saute…
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- In mixing bowl, combine…
- 1 container light ricotta cheese
- 2 15 ounce cans of pizza sauce
- 1 egg
- Add to cooked vegetables…
- Ricotta mix
- Cooked pasta
- Small can of sliced olives
- 5 ounces mini turkey pepperoni
- 1 box of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Sprinkle with pizza blend cheese and bake in the oven at 375* for 20ish minutes, until cheese is melted and pasta is hot through.
Seriously delicious. This met all my pizza-craving needs with a significantly higher intake of vegetables. I also love that you could mix and match all YOUR favorite pizza toppings. This could be a new dish each time you make it!