I’ve been trying harder to cook at home during the week which means I want meals to be quick, inexpensive, and healthy. The following recipe can be thrown together in about half an hour, and I only spent $12 at my local grocery.
- In large pot, cook one box of Spanish rice according to package directions. Use diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- Brown and drain one pound of chorizo.
- In the same pan you cooked the rice, combine…
- Cooked rice
- 1 bag of frozen corn
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces of Mexican blend cheese
- Leave on the stovetop to heat through and melt the cheese.
- Serve with a COPIOUS number of jalapeños. 🙂
Things I love about this: black beans (lots of fiber), veggie content, minimal dishes to wash. My cholesterol is also quite happy that I only used 1/2 a bag of cheese which is atypical for me. The chorizo obviously isn’t a super healthy protein choice (high in fat and sodium), but it is so flavorful and the one pound will be divided amongst many servings. Overall, my dining partner and I agreed this is a “make again.”