I really liked my recent recipe adventure that featured barley, so I thought I’d better try it again! This recipe is WAY easier, and I actually thought it was tastier…albeit not very attractive!
- One white onion, chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, crushed
- Pour 1 1/2 cups of quick cooking barley into the skillet. Toast for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in 6 ounces of beer (amber, porter, something with flavor!)
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, until alcohol is absorbed
- Stir in…
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- Cover and let simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed
- Once liquid is absorbed, stir in…
- 8 ounces diced, cooked ham
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 bag of fresh spinach, torn (stir to wilt into risotto)
I thought this was VERY tasty–indulgent, really–despite being full of whole-grain goodness. In lieu of ham, I would have LOVED to mix in rotisserie chicken! I appreciated that this was a one skillet meal too, perfect for a busy weeknight! Also, all the ingredients were super affordable which makes this budget-conscious girl very happy!