If you are a frequent flyer at Meals with Margaret, you know I like recipes tobe easy! This casserole doesn’t necessarily meet that standard, but I was looking for a healthy culinary adventure!
- Combine four cups of beef stock and three cups of water in a saucepan. Place on very low heat on the stove top.
- Meanwhile, chop…
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 white onion
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 16 ounces mushrooms
- Saute bacon in large skillet or dutch oven. Remove meat from pan, reserving a bit of grease, and fry onion, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Pour 16 ounces of uncooked barley into the pan. Saute for one minute.
- Stir in 1/3 cup of Madeira wine. Cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Add two cups of beef stock to the pan, cooking until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock one cup at a time, allowing the barley to absorb each cup before adding the next.
- Once all liquid has been absorbed, stir in…
- One box of chopped frozen spinach (thawed and drained).
- 4 ounces chopped sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese
- Cooked bacon
- Place mixture into 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 375 for 30ish minutes, until bubbly.
I loved trying something other than my usual pasta, rice, or potatoes for the bulk of this casserole. The box of barley even advertised that it would help lower my cholesterol. 🙂 This was very flavorful; I loved the texture of the barley.My only complaint is that this casserole was GIANT! Next time, I’ll do 8 ounces of barley and halve the liquid.