Lent starts this week, and I was trying to think ahead to meat-free meals for this Wednesday and Friday. (Alas! No more Pizza Hut on Fridays with my coworkers!) The pasta bake below is the result of that focus on responsibility…
- Boil 12 ounces of bow tie noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- In medium bowl, whisk…
- 12 ounces of cottage cheese
- 3 eggs
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (Use the other half to clean your cutting board.)
- Add mix to hot pasta along with…
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, crushed*
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
- 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese
- Combine well before stirring in one bunch of basil, chopped.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly.
Doesn’t tasting basil instantly have you thinking summer?! I wish the tomatoes and the basil were out of my garden instead of from the store! I did not miss the meat in this healthy and flavorful casserole, but you could add your favorite protein to please the eaters in your dining room. I still don’t know what I’m giving up for Lent, but at least my kitchen is prepared!
*Stir in onions and garlic first so the hot pasta can help soften them. Yay for avoiding precooking and extra dirty dishes!