Fall is the time for yummy comfort meals. I’m typically extra comforted when the meal involves squash. 🙂 Check out this yummy take on macaroni and cheese!
- Peel and cube one medium butternut squash.
- Steam with 2 T. water.
- Once soft, mash and set aside.
- Prepare 8 ounces elbow macaroni according to package directions.
- In medium saucepan, heat 2 T. olive oil. Saute…
- 8 ounce baby bella mushrooms
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Sprinkle softened veggies with 2 T. flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup milk.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Melt in 4 ounces cheddar cheese.
- Stir in squash and pasta.
- Place pasta mixture into greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. Sprinkle with 4 ounces cheddar cheese. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
You might read this recipe and think, “Wow, this would be fairly healthy!” If you eat it, you will think, “Holy cow this is delicious and indulgent!” Sneak in some bacon or ham if you don’t feel like going meat free. I think the only thing I will add next time is a dash of cayenne pepper!