My parents often purchase boneless skinless chicken thighs to grill, but anytime I’ve considered that protein, I’ve found them to be VERY pricey. Last week, my local offered a sale on just that cut of meat, so I did some recipe research before I decided on this…
- In large sauce pot, brown one pound of pork sausage.
- Halfway through cooking time, add in…
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bulb of minced garlic
- Deglaze the pan with one can of beer. Cook for a couple of minutes to burn off alcohol.
- Stir in two pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs, seasoned with salt and pepper and cut into one inch pieces. Also stir in…
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Simmer, uncovered, on low for 45-60 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- Stir in 8 ounces of rigatoni, continue simmering until pasta is soft (10-15 minutes).
A typical ragu boasts wine, fancier cuts of meat, and is served alongside pasta, rather than my inexpensive meats and “one pot style” noodles which is why I dubbed this the redneck version. 🙂 Additionally, the final product was a BIG batch so invite guests or freeze individual servings to enjoy later (no dairy…it ought to freeze well).