I’m starting to have a serious obsession with one-pot pasta. It’s so easy, it’s so fast, it’s often so inexpensive. Pay day isn’t until tomorrow, so I lucked out that sour cream and mushrooms were on sale, I had meat in the freezer, and even a poor teacher can afford egg noodles.
- In large pot, brown one pound of hamburger.
- Once browned, add 16 ounces of sliced baby bella mushrooms and 1 Tablespoon minced garlic. Saute until soft.
- Stir in…
- 16 ounces egg noodles*
- 4 cups beef broth
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15ish minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in 16 ounces sour cream. Warm through before serving.
This was classic comfort food…and super fast on a busy night (skillet to table in less than half an hour). I will admit my dining partner and I brainstormed ways to heighten the depth of flavor though: After sauteing mushrooms, deglaze the pan with wine (marsala?!). Add an onion. Stir in Worcestershire. Choose a fancier meat (or just more hamburger to please the meat-lovers). Finally, I did consider adding corn or peas or beans just because I hate when dinner is monochromatic.
* I did opt for light sour cream and whole wheat egg noodles.