I was having a serious craving for smoked sausage this week…am I insane? 🙂 This craving led me looking for casserole recipes because I wanted to prepare tonight’s meal in advance and just have to heat it in the oven when I got home. I wish I would have made a double batch. Check it out:
- Prepare one box of jambalaya rice by…
- Boiling 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Once boiling, stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for fifteen-ish minutes, until water is absorbed.
- Place rice in large mixing bowl.
- In large skillet, saute one package of smoked sausage, sliced into discs.
- Place sausage in mixing bowl.
- In sausage grease, saute…
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 bulb of garlic, crushed
- Place cooked vegetables into mixing bowl.
- Add to mixing bowl…
- 8 ounces of cooked, peeled shrimp
- 1 can of gumbo soup
- A few swirls of your favorite hot sauce (I prefer Sriracha)
- Bake casserole at 375 for 30ish minutes, until heated through.
My dinner guest and I both LOVED this casserole! I topped my serving with a dollop of jalapeno cream cheese, and it was even more amazing! A tip on the shrimp: buy a bag of frozen shrimp. Run it under cool water to thaw and peel. Once the rice is cooked, place the raw shrimp in the pot, put the lid on, and TA-DA! You have cooked shrimp in just a couple of minutes! I used low sodium jambalaya rice and turkey sausage. I have no guilt about this satisfyingly spicy dinner!