On yet another search for a low-carb casserole, I stumbled upon THIS recipe. I got really excited about using cauliflower in place of rice. Then, in making my grocery list, I got a little overzealous about the number of vegetables I could shove into this one dish. The more the merrier, I guess! Check it out:
- “Rice” one small head of cauliflower in a food processor.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of water, and steam for one minute.
- Place in bottom of greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Chop one head of broccoli florets.
- Add water and steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Place on top of “rice.”
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 bulb garlic
- Saute in olive oil until softened.
- Add on top of cauliflower/broccoli.
- Top veggies with two cups of shredded rotisserie chicken.
- In saute pan, melt one block of cream cheese and a half-pint of heavy whipping cream.
- Simmer until fully combined/melted. (Thin with milk or water if needed.)
- Add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
- Pour over veggies and chicken.
- Sprinkle casserole with Parmesan cheese and bake at 375* for 25 minutes.
My brain is certainly not tricked into thinking that the cauliflower is rice, but this was a TOTALLY awesome way to eat an otherwise-bland vegetable. (Check out THIS BLOG for more info about “ricing” cauliflower. It’s a do-again!) Be generous with the salt and pepper or else the sauce will come out way too sweet. I absolutely loved this, and the best thing about skimping on carbs….heaving whipping cream has zero carbohydrates! (Just pretend like you didn’t see the fat on the label.)