Beautiful spring weather has hit here in central Iowa, but I couldn’t resist putting this comforting hot dish on the meal plan. Ironically, rain clouds rolled in as dinner came out of the oven!
- 1 white onion
- 16 ounces mushrooms
- 2 peppers (green, red, yellow…whatever you like!)
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 T. fresh garlic
- In 12 inch cast iron skillet, heat 3 T. oil and saute vegetables, until softened.
- Stir in 1/4 cup flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in 3/4 milk. Simmer until thickened.
- 8 ounces Mexican blend cheese
- 1 can of black beans (rinsed)
- 1 cup of corn
- Top casserole with one bag of sweet potato tots. Bake in a 400* oven for 25-ish minutes, until tots are crispy.
Serve with your favorite taco toppings: sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, jalapenos. If you really love the tot topping, use two bags! I like to make at least one meatless meal per week, but you could absolutely add it if your eaters are committed carnivores.