I had a couple of baby jalapenos ready in my garden yesterday, and I was envisioning some kind of spicy creamed corn that I’d pair with a protein from the meat case at my local. My research and personal taste led me in a slightly different direction…
- In a medium sauce pan, scald 1 1/4 cups of milk. Once heated, stir in…
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons of corn meal and salt/pepper to taste
- Stir over medium heat until thickened (2-3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in…
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 small jalapenos, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese
- Once well combined, stir in two eggs, combining well after each addition.
- Finally, fold in 1 pound of raw, peeled shrimp.
- Pour spoon bread into greased 8 x 8 dish and bake at 350* for 40-45 minutes, until set.
I didn’t promise you a healthy meal….but I will promise you a delicious meal! This was a lot like shrimp and grits, but it was fun to try something new. The dish wasn’t super spicy, so add more jalapeno if you prefer. Skimp the shrimp if you’d like to serve it as a side dish, as a bed for chili, or alongside another yummy soup!
2 thoughts on “Jalapeno Spoon Bread with Shrimp”
My mouth is watering.
We must both have an affinity for spicy food!