New Year’s Day is the perfect day to have a breakfast casserole ready to go in the fridge: pop it in the oven, go back to bed, wake up and cure your hangover. I wasn’t hungover this year, but I was still quite happy I had this gem waiting for me when I woke up!
- In microwave safe bowl, melt one stick of butter.
- Stir in 1 cup of packed brown sugar and 2 Tablespoons of light corn syrup.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar mix with chopped pecans.
- Top sugar and nuts with 1 inch thick slices of french bread (I made eight fit the pan).
- In separate bowl, beat…
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 3 T. white sugar
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- Store casserole in refrigerator for one hour or overnight. Flip bread slices before baking at 350* for thirty minutes, or until bread is browned and sugars are bubbly.
- Flip slices over onto individual plates to reveal the sugary,crunchy topping to drooling diners!
I loved the zest of the orange and the caramel-like consistency of the brown sugar topping. Plus, how can you go wrong with crunchy pecans?! I most appreciate the sticky roll flavor I created with half the work!