My dad hates tomatoes. Insane, I know. The following chili recipe is his brain child for tomato-less chili. He has served it for Christmas Eve every year since its invention, but I really love it leftover on hot dogs! He typically threatens to disown my sisters and me if we ever tamper with the recipe by adding tomatoes.
- Brown two pounds of ground beef.
- Drain and place in slow cooker.
- Chop one large white onion. Add to beef.
- Prepare three cups of brown gravy according to package directions.
- Once thickened, stir in…
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1/4 t. cumin
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 T. black pepper
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. paprika
- Whisk together and pour on top of beef/onions.
- Stir in 1 small can of mushrooms and 1 can of chili beans.
- Let simmer on low until ready to serve.
I like Dad Chili to be really thick, but you could add more brown gravy if you’d like it soupier. You can also play with the spices to find the combination that works for your favorite diners. I tend to “oops” each measurement so that there is plenty of heat! I most love to eat my serving with chips, cheese, and maybe a little sour cream!Be on the lookout for more throw-back family-favorite recipe posts!