I was seriously craving a date with my kitchen tonight, so I did a little recipe research, skipped my bike ride, and headed straight to the grocery store. I picked out all sorts of fresh veggies and had an internal debate about whether or not I should buy crescent rolls for a crust or stick to a low carb supper. The Powers that Be apparently wanted me to go low carb because I walked out of the store without crescents! I’m a poor listener though, and I went to the next store to pick up the forgotten item. Lo and behold, I found whole grain dinner rolls^ in the refrigerator section! Yay me!
- Press one tube of whole grain dinner rolls into a 9 inch pie pan to create a crust.
- Spread crust with 2 T. spicy brown mustard and 2 ounces Swiss cheese.
- 4 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 a zucchini
- 1/2 a yellow squash
- 1/2 an onion
- Add one bulb of crushed garlic to the veggies and saute in olive oil until softened.
- Place cooked veggies on top of crust.
- Top with…
- Halved grape tomatoes
- Swiss/cheddar cheese
- Two beaten eggs, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Bake pie at 350* for 25ish minutes, until eggs are set (you may need to cover the pie with foil to prevent the cheese and crust from getting too brown).
Verdict: the mustard was a little weird (obviously, don’t use it if you hate mustard) but otherwise, it was so good I have zero regrets about including a crust. Time to sit in the yard with a cold one and enjoy these last days of summer….. ❤
^I can’t find a website with this product, but I promise that Pillsbury has a new “Artisan Dinner Roll, Made with Whole Grain” in the refrigerator section. They even unravel like a cinnamon roll, so they are very easy to press into crust.