Winter showed up with my May baskets today, so I was in need of some serious comfort food. I initially found THIS recipe, but I didn’t really follow it….. Preheat your oven to 375* and make this happen:
- Break up one large head of cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. Steam for five minutes (more or less, depending on your veggie-cruch-preference).
- Chop six slices of bacon. Saute, drain, set aside.
- Dice one red pepper. Saute in bacon grease. Drain and set aside.
- In large pot (enough space for ALL the goodies), heat one half pint of heavy whipping cream.
- Stir in 8 oz. jalapeno cream cheese.
- Melt in 1 cup sharp cheddar and 1 cup of Colby jack cheese.
- Salt/pepper/crushed garlic to taste.
- Stir in bacon, cauliflower, and red pepper.
- Place in greased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle with cheddar/Colby and bake for 25ish minutes, until bubbly.
I walked away 110% comforted. 🙂 Don’t be alarmed by how thick the sauce is; the cauliflower will produce enough liquid while cooking to thin it out. I only added the red pepper because it was in the fridge, and I didn’t want it to spoil. You could definitely incorporate spinach, mushrooms, or any other favorite veggies. I would feed this to guests (with a cold beer); it was THAT good.